Professor, National School of Development
China Center for Economic Research, Peking University
Professor, Crawford School of Economics and Government
Australian National University
International Financial System
Rural economic development
China and Asia Economy
Australian National University, Ph.D. (Economics) 1994
Renmin University of China, M.A. (Economics) 1987
Zhejiang University of Agriculture, B.S. (Agriculture) 1984
Managing Director and Chief Asia Economist, Citigroup, 2000-2009
Senior Lecturer, Crawford School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, 1996-2000
Director, Chinese Economy Program, Crawford School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, 1996-1998
Research Fellow, Crawford School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, 1994-1995
General Mills International Professor of Finance and Economics, Graduate School of Business, Columbia University, 1998-1999
Visiting Research Fellow of World Bank, China Center for Economic Research, Peking University, 1996(three month)
Research Center for Rural Development of the State Council, 1987-1990
1. Growth without Miracles: Readings on the Chinese economy in the era of reform, co-editor with Ross Garnaut, Oxford University Press, 2001(513 pages).
2. China’s Last Steps Across the River: Enterprise and bank reforms, Asia Pacific Press, 2001(236 pages).
3. Agricultural Reform in China: Getting institutions right, Cambridge University Press, 1998(225 pages).
Recent Research Papers
1. ‘China’s asymmetric market liberalization: The great ascendancy and structural risks’, Asian Pacific Economic Literature, forthcoming.
2. ‘The impact of Sars on Asian economies’, with Don Hanna, Asian Economic Papers, 2004, 3(1, Winter): pages 102-112.
3. ‘Is Meltdown of the Chinese Banks Inevitable?’, China Economic Review, 2002, 13(4, December), pages 382-387.
4. ‘Foreign entry into Chinese banking: Does WTO membership threaten domestic banks?’, with John P. Bonin, The World Economy, 2002, 25(8, August), pages 1077-1093.
5. ‘Bank restructuring in post-crisis Asia’, with Don Hanna, Asian Economic Papers, 2002, 1(1, Winter), pages 3-42.
6. ‘Dealing with the bad loans of the Chinese banks’, with John P. Bonin, Journal of Asian Economics, 2001, 12(2): 197-214.
7. ‘How important is APEC to China?’, with Yongzheng Yang, Australian Economic Papers, 1999, 38(3): 328-342.（Reprinted, with some modifications, in Peter Drysdale, Yunling Zhang and Ligang Song (eds.), APEC and Liberalization of the Chinese Economy, Asia Pacific Press, 2000, pages 89-108. ）
8. ‘Understanding the decline of China’s state sector’ with Wing Thye Woo and Ron Duncan,, MOST-MOCT: Economic Policy in Transitional Economies, 1999, 9(1): 1-15.
9. ‘Did competition drive down the profitability of China’s state industry?’, with Ron Duncan, MOST-MOCT: Economic Policy in Transitional Economies, 1999, 9(1): 49-60.