Professor of economics, National School of Development, Peking University (PKU)
Senior research fellow, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
Guangbiao visiting professor, Zhejing University
Research Area/Research Interest
Development economics, agricultural economics and Chinese economy
2000, Ph.D. in Applied Economics and Management, Cornell University
1998, MS in Applied Economics and Management, Cornell University
1990, MS in Economics, Tianjin Univ. of Finance and Economics, China
1987, BS in Mathematics, Nankai University, China
2012-present, Professor of economics, National School of Development, PKU
2006-present, Senior research fellow, IFPRI
2003-2006, Research fellow, IFPRI
2000-2002, Postdoctoral research fellow, IFPRI
1998-2000, Research analyst, IFPRI
Dillon, Andrew, Manohar Sharma, and Xiaobo Zhang, Estimating the Impact of Access to Infrastructure and Extension Services in Rural Nepal. IFPRI Research Monograph series, 2011.
Zhang, Xiaobo, Arjan de Haan and Shenggen Fan, Narratives of Chinese Economic Reforms: How Does China Cross the River? World Scientific Publishing, 2010.
Fan, Shenggen, Ravi Kanbur and Xiaobo Zhang, Regional Inequality in China: Trends, Explanations and Policy Responses. Routledge, 2009.
Kanbur, Ravi and Xiaobo Zhang, Governing Rapid Growth in China: Equity and Institutions. Routledge, 2009.
Fan, Shenggen, Linxliu Zhang, and Xiaobo Zhang, Growth, Inequality, and Poverty in Rural China: the Role of Public Investments. IFPRI Research 125. 2002 [ 中文版《经济改革，公共投资及农村贫困》 由中国农业出版社出版]
Recent Research Papers
Refereed journal papers in English
“Challenges of Creating Cities in China: Lessons from a Short-lived County-to-City Upgrading Policy,” (Shenggen Fan, Lixing Li, and Xiaobo Zhang), Journal of Comparative Economics, 40: 676-291, 2012.
“Patterns of China's Industrialization: Concentration, Specialization, and Clustering,” (Cheryl Long and Xiaobo Zhang) China Economic Review, 23(3): 593-612, 2012.
“Credit Constraints, Clustering and Profitability among Chinese Firms,” (Jianqing Ruan and Xiaobo Zhang), Strategic Change, 21: 159–179, 2012.
“The Competitive Saving Motive: Evidence from Rising Sex Ratios and Savings in China,” (Shang-jin Wei and Xiaobo Zhang), Journal of Political Economy, 119 (3): 511-564, June 2011.
“Positional Spending and Status Seeking in Rural China,” (Philip H. Brown, Erwin Bulte and Xiaobo Zhang) Journal of Development Economics, 96: 139–149, 2011.
“Cluster-Based Industrialization in China: Financing and Performance,” (Cheryl Long and Xiaobo Zhang), Journal of International Economics, 84 (1): 112-123, 2011.
“Infrastructure and Cluster Development: A Case Study of Handloom Weavers in Ethiopia,” (Xiaobo Zhang, Lisa Mooman, Gezahegn Ayele), Journal of Development Studies, 47:12, 1869-1886, 2011.
“China Has Reached the Lewis Turning Point,” (Zhang, Xiaobo, Jin Yang, and Shenglin Wang) China Economic Review, 22 (4): 542–554, 2011.
“China's One-Child Policy and ‘the Mystery of Missing Women’: Ethnic Minorities and Male-Biased Sex Ratios” (Erwin Bulte, Nico Heerink and Xiaobo Zhang). Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 73 (1): 21-39. 2011.
“Estimating the Returns to Rural Investment in Nepal Food Policy,” (Andrew Dillon, Manohar Sharma, and Xiaobo Zhang), Food Policy, 36: 250–258. 2011.
“Why Does the Great Chinese Famine Affect the Male and Female Survivors Differently? Mortality Selection versus Son Preference.” (Ren Mu and Xiaobo Zhang) Economics & Human Biology, 9: 92–105, 2011.
“China’s Regional Disparities: Experience and Policy,” (Fan, Shenggen, Ravi Kanbur, and Xiaobo Zhang), Review of Development Finance, 1: 47–56, 2011.
“The Evolution of an Industrial Cluster in China.” (Belton Fleisher, Dinghuan Hu, William McGuire, and Xiaobo Zhang), China Economic Review, 21(3): 456-469, 2010.
"Finance and Cluster-Based Industrial Development in China," (Jianqing Ruan and Xiaobo Zhang), Economic Development and Cultural Change, 58:143–164, October 2009.
“Community Poverty And Inequality In Western China: A Tale of Three Villages in Guizhou Province,” (L. Xing, S. Fan, X. Luo, and X. Zhang), China Economic Review, 20(2): 338-349, 2009.
“Public Expenditure, Growth and Poverty Reduction in Rural Uganda,” (Shenggen Fan and Xiaobo Zhang), African Development Review, 20 (3): 466-496, 2008. [Also reprinted as a chapter in Public expenditures for agricultural and rural development in Africa, ed. Tewodaj Mogues, and Samuel Benin. Routledge studies in development economics. London: Routledge. Chapter 7. Pp: 178-201.]
“Resource Abundance and Regional Development in China,” (Xiaobo Zhang, Li Xing, Shenggen Fan, and Xiaopeng Luo), Economics of Transition, 16(1): 7-29, 2008.
“The Role of Clustering in Rural Industrialization: A Case Study of Wenzhou's Footwear Industry.” (Zuhui Huang, Xiaobo Zhang, and Yunwei Zhu), China Economic Review, 2008, 19: 409–420.
“Impact of Famine during Pregnancy and Infancy on Health in Adulthood,” (Z. Yang, W. Zhao, X. Zhang, R. Mu, Y. Zhai, L. Kong and C. Chen), Obesity Reviews 9 (Suppl. 1), 95–99, 2008.
“Rural Industrialization in China and India: Role of Policies and Institutions,” (Anit Mukherjee and Xiaobo Zhang), World Development, 35 (10): 1621-1634, 2007.
“Asymmetric Property Rights in China’s Economic Growth,” William Mitchell Law Review, 33 (2): 101-116, 2007.
“Incremental Reform and Distortions in China’s Product and Factor Markets,” (Xiaobo Zhang and Kong-yam Tan), World Bank Economic Review, 21(2): 279-299, 2007. [Reprint as chapter 8 in Policy Reform and Chinese Markets: Progress and Challenges, Edited by Belton M. Fleisher, Nicholas C. Hope, Anita Alves Pena, and Dennis Tao Yang. Cheltenham, UK & Northampton, USA: Edward Elgar, 2008.]
“Patterns of spatial convergence and divergence in India and China” (Gajwani, Kiran, Ravi Kanbur, and Xiaobo Zhang) in Annual World Bank Conference on Development Economics 2007, Regional: Beyond Transition, eds. F. Bourguignon and B. Pleskovic, page 155-178, 2007.
“Is the Relationship between Aid and Economic Growth Nonlinear?” (Andros Kourellos, Chih Ming Tan, and Xiaobo Zhang), Journal of Macroeconomics, 29: 515-540, 2007.
“Fiscal Decentralization and Political Centralization in China: Implications for Growth and Regional Inequality,” Journal of Comparative Economics, 34 (4): 713-726, December, 2006.
“Famine and Overweight in China,” (Zhehui Luo, Ren Mu, and Xiaobo Zhang), Review of Agricultural Economics, 28 (3): 296-304, 2006.
“Spatial Inequality in Education and Health Care in China,” (X. Zhang and R. Kanbur), China Economic Review, 16: 189-204, 2005. Reprint as Chapter 3, in Market Development In China Spillovers, Growth and Inequality, Page 41-60. Edited by Belton M. Fleisher, Haizheng Li, and Shunfeng Song. Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd.
“Fifty Years of Regional Inequality in China: A Journey Through Central Planning, Reform and Openness,” (R. Kanbur and X. Zhang), Review of Development Economics, 9(1): 87-106, January 2005.
“China, Economic Development and Mortality Decline,” (Judith Banister and Xiaobo Zhang), World Development, 33(1): 21-41, January 2005.
“Local Governance and Public Goods Provision in Rural China,” (Xiaobo Zhang, Shenggen Fan, Linxiu Zhang, and Jikun Huang) Journal of Public Economics, 88(12): 2857-2871, 2004.
“How Productive Is Infrastructure? New Approach and Evidence from Rural India,” (X. Zhang and S. Fan), American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 86(2): 492–501, May 2004.
“Reform, Investment and Poverty in Rural China,” (S. Fan, L. Zhang, and X. Zhang) Economic Development and Cultural Change, 52 (2): 395-422, January 2004.
“Spatial Patterns of Crop Yields in Latin America and the Caribbean,” (Stanley Wood, Liangzhi You, and Xiaobo Zhang), Cuadernos de Economia (Latin American Journal of Economics), 41 (December): 361-382, 2004.
“Public Investment and Regional Inequality in Rural China,” (X. Zhang and S. Fan) Agricultural Economics, 30(2): 89-100, 2004.
“Infrastructure and Regional Economic Development in Rural China,” (S. Fan and X. Zhang) China Economic Review, 15 (2): 203-214, 2004.
“Industrialization, Urbanization, and Land Use in China” (X. Zhang, T. Mount and R. Boisvert), Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, 2(3): 207-224, September 2004. [Reprint as a chapter in The Great Urbanization of China edited by Ding LU, page 99-124, Series on Contemporary China Volume 30, World Scientific, 2012.]
“How China’s WTO Accession Affects Rural Economy in the Less-Developed Regions: A Multi-Region, General Equilibrium Analysis,” (X. Diao, S. Fan, and X. Zhang), Journal of Comparative Economics, 31: 332-351, June 2003.
“Does Guanxi Matter To Nonfarm Employment?” (X. Zhang and G. Li), Journal of Comparative Economics, 3: 315-331, June 2003.
“Structural Change and Economic Growth in China”, (S. Fan, S. Robinson, and X. Zhang), Review of Development Economics, 7(3): 360-377, 2003. [A Chinese version targeting to general readers is in China Economics Quarterly, October 2002]
“How Agricultural Research Affects Urban Poverty in Developing Countries?” (S. Fan, C. Fang, and X. Zhang), World Development, 31(4): 733-741, April 2003.
“How Does FDI Affect Regional Inequality within a Developing Country? Evidence from China” (X. Zhang and K. Zhang), Journal of Development Studies, 39 (4): 47-67, April 2003. Reprinted in Globalization and the Third World, edited by B. N. Ghosh and Halil M. Guven, Palgrave MaCmillan, 109-128, 2006.
“The Emerging Urban Poverty and Inequality in China: Evidence from Household Survey” (C. Fang, X. Zhang, and S. Fan), China Economic Review, 13 (4): 430-443, December 2002.
‘The Path of Technological Diffusion: Which Neighbors to Learn from?” (X. Zhang, S. Fan, and X. Cai), Contemporary Economic Policy, 20 (4): 470-478, October 2002.
“Production and Productivity Growth in Chinese Agriculture: New National and Regional Measures,” (S. Fan and X. Zhang), Economic Development and Cultural Change, 50 (4): 819-838, July 2002. Reprint in China's Agricultural Development: Challenges and Prospects, edited by Xiao-yuan Dong, Shunfeng Song, and Xiaobo Zhang, Ashagate, p. 129-151, 2006.
“How Does Public Investment Affect Growth and Poverty in China?” (S. Fan, L. Zhang, and X. Zhang), World Economy & China, 9 (4): 9-19, July-August 2001.
“What Difference Do Polarisation Measures Make?” (X. Zhang and Ravi Kanbur), Journal of Development Studies, 37(3): 85-98, February 2001.
“Estimating Crop-Specific Production Technology in Chinese Agriculture: A Generalized Maximum Entropy Method,” (X. Zhang and S. Fan), American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 83(2): 378-388, May 2001.
“The Demand for Food Grain in China: New Insights into a Controversy,” (X. Zhang, T. D. Mount and R. N. Boisvert), Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, 30 (1): 1-9, April 2001.
“Which Regional Inequality: The Evolution of Rural-Urban or Coast-Inland Inequality in China?” (R. Kanbur and X. Zhang), Journal of Comparative Economics, December 1999, 27: 686-701.
“危机与制造业产业集群的质量升级: 基于浙江产业集群的研究” (阮建青、 张晓波、 卫龙宝), 《管理世界》，2010年2月.
“中国经济到了刘易斯转折点了吗？来自贫困地区的证据”（张晓波、杨进、王生林）《浙江大学学报（人文社会科学版）》，40 (1): 54-72, 2010年1月 .
“中国西部地区农村不平等状况研究, 基于贵州住户调查数据的分析” （邢鹂、樊胜根、罗小朋、张晓波）《经济学（季刊）》，第8卷第1期 (总第31期)： 325-346, 2008年10月.
“基于产业集群的包商制与企业家才能。”（阮建青、张晓波、 卫龙宝)《管理世界》, 总第182期): 119-128, 2008年11月.
“资本壁垒与产业集群——基于浙江濮院羊毛衫产业的案例研究,” (阮建青、张晓波、 卫龙宝) 《经济学（季刊）》，第7卷第1期(总第27期), 2007年10月.
“社會賦權的交換與區域間、協調發展,” (羅小朋、張曉波) 《二十一世紀雙月刊》 2007年2月號 總第九十九期13-20.
“农民收入差距问题的一个分析视角：基于农民企业家报酬的考察,” (黄祖辉、张晓波、王敏) ，《管理世界》, 68-75, 2006.
1. Member of review panel, German Research Foundation, 2012.
2. Chair, China Section, American Association of Applied Economics, 2010-2011.
3. Co-editor, China Economic Review, 2010-present.
4. Goldfarb Center for Public Affairs and Civic Engagement Visiting Fellow, Colby College, September 2009.
5. President (2005-2006), Vice President and member of board of directors (2003-04), Chinese Economists Society.
6. Member, IFPRI Publication Committee, 2006-present.
7. Member, Academic committee, Fudan Economics Papers. 2006-2008.
8. Reviewer, China National Science Foundation, 2005-present.
9. Editorial board, International Journal of Applied Economics, 2004-2006.
10. Visiting professor, Nanjing Agricultural University, October 2004-present.
11. Visiting Fellow, International Center for Agricultural and Rural Development, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, 2004-present.
12. Co-organizer, Pre-Conference Workshop “China and its Development Challenges” at the 26th Conference of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, August 12, 2006, Gold Coast, Australia.
13. Organizer, Chinese Economists Society annual meetings “Governing Rapid Growth in China: Efficiency, Equity, and Institution,” Shanghai, July 2-4, 2006.
14. Co-organizer, International Conference on the Dragon and Elephant: China and India’s Economic Reforms, Shanghai, July 1-2, 2006.
15. Co-organizer, PRCC/IFPRI International Conference on Poverty Reduction Strategy in the New Millennium: Emerging Issues, Experiences and Lessons, May 23-24, 2006, Beijing.
16. Co-organizer, Cornell/IFPRI Conference on Nonlinearity and Threshold in Development, Washington, DC, May 11-13, 2005.
17. Organizer, International Workshop on Nonfarm Economy in Developing Countries, Wenzhou, China, March 19-22, 2005.
18. Co-organizer, Cornell/IFPRI/WIDER Conference on Growing Inequality in China, September 25-26, 2004.
19. Co-organizer, a workshop on “Priorities for Public Investment in Chinese Agriculture”, funded by the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR), Wuxi, China, November 1-4, 2000.
20. Reviewer for Agricultural Economics, American Economic Review, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Area, Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, China Economics Quarterly, China Economic Review, Chinese Journal of Economics and Business Studies, China Review Journal, Contemporary Economic Policy, Economic Development and Cultural Change, Economic Journal, Economics of Transition, Food Policy, International Journal of Applied Economics, Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Journal of Asian Pacify Economy, Journal of Comparative Economics, Journal of Development Economics, Journal of Development Studies, Journal of Economic Inequality, Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, Journal of Public Economics, Pacific Economic Review, Review of Development Economics, Urban Studies, World Bank Economic Review, and World Development.
Honors and awards
1. Winner of the IFPRI Innovative Research Fund, 2010 ($300,000).
2. The Gregory and Paula Chow Best Paper Award from the Chinese Economists Society Conference in 2010 for "The Sexual Foundation of Economic Growth: Evidence from China" co-authored by Shang-jin Wei and Xiaobo Zhang.
3. Research award from the National Science Foundation (with Shang-jin Wei), "Competitive Savings, Competitive Growth, and Global Implications," (Reference No. 1024574), $325,938, 2010-2013.
4. Overseas Collaborative Research Award, China Natural Science Foundation, 2008-2011.
5. The Gregory and Paula Chow Best Paper Award from the Chinese Economists Society Conference in 2008 for "Race to the Top and Race to the Bottom: Tax Competition in Rural China" co-authored by Yi Yao and Xiaobo Zhang.
6. Ford Teaching Fellowship awarded by the Chinese Economists Society, 2004.
7. First prize of the journal articles by the Chinese Association of Agriculture for the paper "Pubic Investment, Growth and Poverty Reduction in Rural China" by Shenggen Fan, Linxiu Zhang, and Xiaobo Zhang published in the Journal of South China Agricultural University (Social Science Edition), 2003.
8. An award of Competent Toastmaster (CTM), Toastmasters International, 2001.
9. Finalist (with Shenggen Fan and Linxiu Zhang), for a research medal in the Escaping Poverty Category of the Global Awards at the Second Annual Global Development Network Conference at Tokyo, December 10-13, 2000.
10. Graduate travel grant from the Graduate School at Cornell University. August 1999.
11. Outstanding M.S. Thesis Award from the Northeastern Agricultural Economics Association. June 1999.
12. Award of Merit for Outstanding M.S. Thesis in the Graduate Field of Applied Economics 1998-1999 from Cornell University. May 1999.
13. Graduate travel grant from the Graduate School at Cornell University. June 1998.
14. L.T. Lam Family Awards for South China research, Cornell University. December 1997.
15. Gamma Sigma Delta, the Honorary Society of Agriculture. 1996
16. L.T. Lam Awards for South China research, Cornell University. December, 1995
17. World Bank Graduate Scholarship 1994-1996.